Principal – Ms Anna Steele
Program Coordinator – Mrs Katherine Athanasiou
Manager Corporate Services – Mrs Amber McCahey
School Officer – Elizabeth Studer (Mon – Wed)
Keeping our Students Safe
Students with special needs are especially vulnerable as they often have little understanding of social actions and behaviours and very often have limited speech or may be non-verbal. There are many times when safety is particularly important, for example, during toileting.
The following processes are in place to ensure the safety of students while at Mount Hawthorn ESC:
- We are fortunate to have a high staff to student ratio and students are not alone at any time during the school day, either at school or on excursions.
- All staff who come onto school grounds must have an up to date working with children check (WWCC) as well as current National Criminal Screening Check.
- All of our teachers are registered with the Teacher Registration Board of WA (TRBWA) and all of our education assistants are professionally qualified and have a Cert IV or equivalent.
- All our staff have completed online mandatory training courses and are familiar with the procedures involved in reporting.
- For students who are not fully independent for toileting, consultation between teachers and parents ensures that procedures are clear and agreed and followed by all parties.
- Students on excursions will be guided to or taken into individual disabled/universal access toilets.
|Level 3 Teacher –
Coordinator and teacher of Autism Early Intensive Intervention Program (EIIP)
|Teacher Room 1 (Mon – Wed)
|Teacher Room 1 (Tues – Fri)
|Senior Teacher – Room 2
|Senior Teacher –
DOTT Teacher Room 2 / DOTT Teacher Room 3
|Teacher Room 3
Education Assistants and Support Staff
Mt Hawthorn ESC has 20 mostly part time Level 3 education assistants. We employ staff with TAFE or University qualifications (Cert IV Special Needs or equivalent) and all are highly experienced at working with students with high behavioural and educational needs. Additionally, MHESC students and staff are also supported by a Chaplain on a weekly basis.